Some growers, especially growers of natives, are using coco peat and coco peat perlite mixes in preference to using peat mixes.
There is an environmental benefit in using coco peat and now most suppliers have solved the salt problems that caused problems in the past. Ellepot Queensland supplies Ellepots with coco peat and coco peat perlite mixes, in the same way as for peat perlite mixes.
The benefits of using coco peat mixes are:
- Coco peat can retain moisture up to eight times its volume
- Consistent and uniform in texture
- The structure of coco peat is such that it has slow degradation, so it is used in propagation plugs and during the growth of the plant.
- Holds and releases nutrient in solution over extended periods without rewatering.
- The pH is 5.8 to 6.5, favourable for plant growth and nutrient uptake by the plant.
- It has excellent oxygenation properties which aids plant growth.
- It has high air porosity, which aids oxygenation and therefore plant growth.